Summer Day Camp Leader – Canada Summer Jobs Program
The Day Camp Instructors will work together as a team, being responsible for helping to plan, lead, and implement core programs and experiences for children during the summer months (June 27th -August 26th). They will also be responsible for the general safety and development, growth, and skill achievement of the participants in his/her group. The incumbent will provide high-quality outdoor educational and recreational experiences for participants that focus on the VWCA core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility. This position will be mostly outdoors in our beautiful park setting.
This position is supported by the Canada Summer Jobs grant program. Successful Candidates must therefore meet the criteria set forth by the grant program, including- age of less than 30 years at the start of employment.
The camp runs from 9:00am-4:00pm, Monday-Friday.
We are looking for staff that is able to work full-time for the months of July and August. Staff must be fully available (Monday-Friday) from June 27th-August 26th inclusive.
Full-Time hours: 8:30am-4:30pm
Rate of Pay: $19.00/hour plus 4% in lieu of vacation
- Plan and prepare specific group activities. Prepare and implement a weekly schedule for your campers, including games, crafts, activities and out-trips.
- Assist in supervising a group of 10-18 campers ages 5-8 years.
- Identify and respond to camper behavior issues using positive strategies.
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance.
- Know and understand all emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your campers’ safety and their whereabouts at all times.
- Ensure that the site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter.
- Create a bully-free and safe environment for all staff, campers, and parents. Be a positive influence for campers, displaying appropriate behaviors and attitudes during camp.
- Maintain good relations with day camp parents.
- Enforce and adhere to camp procedures and policies.
- Maintain camp equipment and supplies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The physical demands of the position include:
- Visual and auditory ability to observe and to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency situation.
- Ability to lead and interact in group activities and perform related physical skills.
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel, or crouch. Ability to climb, push, and pull.
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 20 pounds.
- Enthusiastic, fun, great personality.
- Ability to effectively interact with participants, parents, and staff.
- Minimum of 19 years of age or older-maximum of 30 years of age per Canada Summer Jobs guidelines.
- CPR/First Aid Certification.
- Prior work experience in a day camp or similar work environment is preferred.
- One of the following is required: Responsible Adult Certification, Child and Youth Care Certification, ECE or ECEA Certification, Education Assistant Certificate.
- Valid Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
Salary: $19.00 per hour
Please send your CV by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org