Early Childhood Education Program – Substitute / On-Call Positions
Locations: Downtown or Westhills YMCA-YWCA
Placement: Immediate /on-going
Wage: ECE-A: $20.50/hour
ECE IT: $27.39/hour*
*Includes the $4/hour for qualified candidates as per MCFD’s ECE Wage Enhancement Program
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Child Care Supervisor, the Early Childhood Educator, ECE IT Educator, or Early Childhood Educator Assistant (ECE/ECE IT/ECEA) Substitute will work directly within the early childhood programs, providing high quality care and creative programming for children in a group setting. Working in collaboration with the child care team, Substitutes are responsible for supporting children from 18 months to 5 years of age. They will ensure that children are well-supervised and provided with developmentally appropriate and fun programming options, in keeping with play-based curriculum/philosophy. This role is classified as a Casual position, and the staff in these positions are entitled to complimentary individual YMCA-YWCA membership.
• To read, understand and follow all YMCA-YWCA policies and procedures related to the guidance and care of children
• To assist with the planning and implementation of a consistent child centered program in accordance with YMCA-YWCA and CCFL standards, including play-based curriculum standards
• To interact directly with the children, facilitating a healthy learning environment
• To establish and maintain positive daily communication and interaction with families, providing quality customer service and building meaningful relationships within the community
• To ensure that all safety and supervision standards are implemented and maintained according to licensing and YMCA-YWCA requirements
• To maintain confidentiality of all information related to the centre, the children, their families, and staff
• To work effectively and as an active member of the staff team, assisting with other duties and responsibilities as required
• To attend professional development sessions and other training as required
• To maintain a neat, orderly, and clean environment, including all activity areas and washrooms
• To release children only to those authorized by parent/ guardian
• ECE, ECE IT, or Early Childhood Educator Assistant License to Practice in BC required
• Experience working with children in a child care/recreation setting
• Strong written and verbal and communication skills
• High level of organization and customer service skills
• Current First Aid and CPR required (Standard First Aid with CPR-C must be completed within the first month of employment)
• A clear Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
• A clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required*
*Note: Cost reimbursed after successful completion of the probationary period.
• The YMCA/YWCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when a suitable candidate has been found; short-listing will take place as applications are received.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.