Locations: Downtown, Eagle Creek and Westhills YMCA-YWCA*
*Flexibility is required (availability to work in all three locations is preferred)
Salary: ECE Wage: $20.30 per hour
ECEA Wage: $18.50 per hour
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is a dynamic charitable organization whose mission is to enhance individual and community potential through participation, learning and leadership. With over 135 years of serving Victoria and the surrounding communities, the YMCA-YWCA is a member Association of both YMCA Canada and YWCA Canada.
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Child Care Supervisor, the Early Childhood Educator and/or Early Childhood Educator Assistant (ECE/ECEA) Substitute will work directly within the early childhood programs, providing high quality care and creative programming for children in a group setting. Working in collaboration with the child care team, ECE/ECEA Substitutes are responsible for supporting children from 10 months to 5 years of age. They will ensure that children are well-supervised and provided with developmentally appropriate and fun programming options, in keeping with the Playing to Learn philosophy.
This role is classified as a casual position. This casual position is entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA membership.
- To read, understand and follow all YMCA-YWCA policies and procedures related to the guidance and care of children
- To assist with the planning and implementing of a consistent child-centered program in accordance with YMCA-YWCA and CCFL standards, including YMCA Playing to Learn curriculum standards
- To interact directly with the children, facilitating a healthy learning environment
- To establish and maintain positive daily communication and interaction with families, providing quality customer service and building meaningful relationships within the community
- To ensure that all safety and supervision standards are implemented and maintained according to licensing and YMCA-YWCA requirements
- To maintain confidentiality of all information related to the centre, the children, their families, and staff
- To work effectively and as an active member of the staff team, assisting with other duties and responsibilities as required
- To attend YMCA Playing to Learn professional development sessions and other trainings as required
- To maintain a neat, orderly, and clean environment, including all activity areas and washrooms
- To release children only to those authorized by parent/guardian
- Early Childhood Educator License to Practice in BC and/or Early Childhood Educator Assistant Certification required
- Infant/Toddler Educator Certificate, Special Needs Educator Certificate, or additional courses/training related to child growth and development are assets
- Experience working with children in a child care/recreational setting
- Strong written, verbal and communication skills
- High level of organization and customer service skills
- Current First Aid and CPR certification required
- A clear Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
- A clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required*
- *Note: Cost reimbursed after successful completion of the probationary period.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
- Application Deadline: This posting will close when suitable candidates have been found.
- Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
- We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Short-listed candidates will be interviewed upon receipt of application.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.