Fernwood NRG is seeking an experienced, team-oriented, enthusiastic, and compassionate candidate to lead our Out of School Care program.
The ideal candidate shares our family-centred approach and is passionate about nature based, emergent curriculum. Self-awareness of personal values, biases and the ability to see how these affect your practice are fundamental to be able to succeed in this role. A desire to work in collaboration across the organization is highly valued. Being organized, accountable, and self-directed are required for this role.
Reporting to the Director of Childcare, the Team Lead is responsible for overseeing the day to day Out of School Care program, supporting families, staff and children’s day to day success in the centre.
This leadership position will require the candidate to lead team members in delivering high quality care in accordance with our philosophy and to develop and implement developmentally appropriate emergent curriculum, while ensuring the health and safety of all children are met through Child Care Licensing Regulations and Fernwood NRG Child Care policies.
- Ensures the health and wellbeing of the children by being supportive, caring and present.
- Provides leadership and direction within a team of educators.
- Point of contact for parents and guardians.
- Administrative duties, including but not limited to: Maintenance of children’s files, communication with parents/guardians, inventory of supplies and materials.
- Promotes social-emotional wellbeing by identifying and labeling emotions in self and others.
- Designs supportive, emergent and inclusive environments.
- Promotes a child’s social-emotional development through individual observations and activities.
- Establishes and implements clear appropriate rules, limits, and guidelines for developmentally appropriate behaviour.
- Builds and maintains professional working relationships with parents/guardians and co-workers.
- Assists with daily cleaning and sanitizing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must meet the requirements for a “Responsible Adult” with Child Care Licensing Regulations, including 20 hours of Child Development training. ECEA or ECE certification an asset.
- Minimum 1 year experience working directly with children aged 5-11.
- Leadership experience an asset.
- First Aid Certified.
- The successful candidate will need to undergo a criminal record check for working with children and vulnerable adults.
- Must provide a record of immunization status.
- Must provide two professional references.
- Familiar with BC Child Care Licensing Regulations.
- Ability to work very well in team settings.
- Ability to problem-solve and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Ability to follow instructions and willingness to assume and carry out assigned tasks and to be accountable for results and actions, including quality of work.
- Ability to appreciate diversity, different opinions, lived experiences, backgrounds, and personality types.
- Experience with and an understanding of the importance of client confidentiality.
- Dependable, including the ability to maintain good attendance, be reliable and punctual.
- Professional, responsive, with a positive work attitude.
- Ability to work positively in a shared work environment.
- Ability to work positively in a busy and loud environment.
- Ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, run occasionally, crouch and bend frequently.
Wage / Hours of Work
- Up to $19/hr dependant on experience and qualifications.
- This is part time position up to a maximum of 30 hrs/week, Monday-Friday.
- Scheduled shifts may fall between 7:30am- 5:30pm.
- After 3 months of employment, you are eligible for 10 paid sick days, and 2 paid family days.
- After 6 months of successful employment eligible for health benefits including dental, vision, para-medical, and life insurance.
- Paid professional development days
- As a perk of working with Fernwood NRG, staff have access to staff discounts on select recreational programs and enjoy free staff snacks.
Resumes and cover letters can be sent to Bentley@fernwoodnrg.ca