Island Montessori is a non-profit preschool & daycare that has been serving Victoria children and their families for over 40 years. We are located on the Saanich Peninsula and offer a beautiful rural setting surrounded by nature. With the scheduled retirement of our current Manager we have an amazing opportunity about to present itself. We are looking for someone who is interested in expanding their leadership skills in the field of Early Childhood Education in a Montessori environment. This position will offer approximately six months of training with the current Manager prior to flying solo with our amazing team of educators and support staff at the start of the 2021/22 school year. With a current licensed capacity of 39 children and eleven staff members, you would have unlimited opportunities to enhance and enjoy an already dynamic program that offers 2, 3, and 5 full day programs as well as a morning preschool and Before and After School Care.
We offer a Montessori based approach to early childhood education and are committed to early intervention practices that support children with a wide variety of learning strengths and needs in an inclusive, integrated setting. Our Vision statement is “To be champions of inclusive, caring, and respectful early childhood education founded on Montessori principles and practices”. And our Mission is “To nurture every child’s love of learning while fostering their growing independence, confidence, and self-esteem”.
As the school Manager you will be responsible for the day to day operation of the school. Together with the Parent Board you will be responsible for developing the yearly operating budget as well as determining staffing needs and requirements according to Childcare Licensing. You will build positive working relationships with the staff as well as our families and their children. You will be part of a dynamic team of Directresses and Integration Support Workers who work cooperatively and collaboratively together to provide a positive, nurturing, and supportive childcare environment.
This position offers an attractive entry salary and Extended Health Benefits after a three-month probation period plus paid vacation for Winter Holidays and Spring Break. During the summer months of July and August, the Manager will work remote part time hours answering inquiries and completing paperwork as needed.
A full job description will be available to candidates selected for an interview.
• An Early Childhood Education Certificate (valid in B.C.) is mandatory, with preference given to those applicants with Montessori training
• Willingness to complete further education (partially subsidized by the school) if required
• Ability to represent Island Montessori and provide a positive first impression to prospective families and other stakeholders
• At least two years of classroom experience in a lead teacher capacity is preferred
• Experience in administration/management would be an asset
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to lead a team and work collaboratively with a volunteer Parent Board comprised of many different personalities
• Ability to work independently and take initiative
• Sensitivity and respect for individual and cultural differences, particularly in the area of special needs
• A strong background in current developmentally appropriate practices for educating and caring for young children
• Adequate energy level and ability to meet the physical demands of the job
Working Hours: 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday to Friday, plus additional hours for meetings and events as needed
Please visit our website for more information on our school (http://www.islandmontessori.com). Applications can be emailed to the Hiring Committee at BoardIMHS@gmail.com. Please include a cover letter and resume and be prepared to provide at least two references should you be selected for an interview. All applications will be treated as confidential. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.