As part of the Child Care Services Team, the BOSC Manager oversees all aspects of Out of School Care programming at Burnside OSC including: enrollment, supervision of staff, program planning & delivery, and administration. As this program operates in a busy environment within shared spaces there is a strong focus on building positive, professional relationships with community partners and administration in addition to children and families, the broader BGCA team, and the general public.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Over-see and participate in the day to day delivery of services to children, including all duties of front-line workers
• Ensure delivery of a variety of quality, age-appropriate activities that meet the social, cognitive, physical, emotional and social needs of children of all skills and abilities.
• Respond to parent concerns in a timely manner
• Maintain program waitlists, distribute registration packages, and ensure orientation of new families to the program, the facility and staff
• In cooperation with the Team Leader ensure facilities are clean and safe, that equipment is in good repair, and liaise with BGCA staff concerning space within the building
• Ensure a consistent, authorized pick up system is in place and communicated to parents and school administration
• With the support of the Team Leader, participate in the recruitment, hiring and evaluation of frontline program staff
• Develop and implement procedures for meeting with individual staff members to solve any problems that may occur such as absenteeism, negative attitude, etc
• Participate in grievance resolutions amongst staff
• Meet with staff team at least once every week to discuss the program, build the team, etc
• Ensure that there is an effective method for the daily sharing of service delivery information
• Assist the staff in arranging for substitutes, preparing plans, reporting, etc
• With the support of the Team Leader, review and update job descriptions as necessary
Financial & Administrative
• Maintain records of participants as well as staff in accordance with BGCA procedures
• Oversee program expenditures such as staffing, groceries and program supplies within a prescribed budget and provide information to the Team Leader regarding the budgetary needs of the program in a timely manner
• Ensure timesheets and expenses are submitted to the Team Leader in a timely manner
• Oversee all financial transactions, records, and receipts for the program and ensure fees are submitted to the Team Leader in a timely manner
• Attend weekly Program Manager’s meetings.
• Work with staff to create and maintain a healthy, safe, clean, and attractive environment
• Develop and maintain positive & effective relationships with the school administration and staff, community partners, government agencies, etc.
• Represent the program, and/or society, at official functions and local events, as needed.
• Provide opportunities for the community to visit the centre and learn more about the value of the program
• With the support of the Team Leader work to maintain a sense of connectedness for staff to the broader BGCA team (multiple sites)
• Encourage a learning environment for staff, attend conferences and workshops on appropriate topics and issues
• Ensure completion of annual professional development equivalent to at least two day’s work
• Play an active role in professional or child care organizations such as ROSCO
• A valid Class 4 license (or a willingness to obtain one within an agreed time frame) is required
• A degree in education, child care, social work or a related field, or an equivalent of education and experience is required
• Experience in direct program delivery in the child care field, with a demonstrated working knowledge of community-based programs and related legislation and policies)
• Previous management experience
• Demonstrated teamwork, strong, positive leadership and supervisory skills.
• Good organization, time and general management skills as well as computer skills (Word, Excel)
• Excellent oral, written, facilitation and interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to establish and maintain positive, effective relations with children, staff, families
• Valid first aid certificate
• No relevant criminal record
• Minimum of 19 years of age
• In addition, the ideal candidate will contribute to a team-focused work environment, working collaboratively across departments to best meet the needs of those we serve
• A reliable vehicle and good driving record (abstract required)
HOURS OF WORK
September to June: 35 hours per week between the hours of 7:30am-5:30pm with split shifts for morning care (7:30-9:00 am). The manager is required to drive children from the Burnside Community Centre to the Tillicum School on the Burnside Bus. This position requires the manager to be in ratio during program hours. Some administration work may be done at the Burnside Gorge Community Centre.
July-August: 37.5 per week during summer day camp
WAGE AND BENEFITS
$18.60/hr. BGCA offers a competitive extended health benefits package after a successful three-month probation period.
Child Care Coordinator
TO APPLY (Please submit a resume with cover letter to)
Burnside Gorge Community Association
Attn: Hannah Holmes (they/them)
Mailing address: 471 Cecelia Road, Victoria, BC V8T 4T4
Deadline to Apply: Monday, April 26th, 12pm (interested applicants are encouraged to submit as soon as possible as BGCA reserves the right to hire a suitable candidate before the closing date)