Two Infant Toddler Educator Positions Available
Post probationary pay currently $23.32 per hour (CUPE 951 collective bargaining in process) plus ECE Wage Enhancement $1.00 per hour, increasing to $2.00 per hour effective 1 April 2020.
About this Opportunity
We are seeking two Infant/Toddler Early Childhood Educators to join our expanding UVic Child Care Services team in full-time (35 hours per week), continuing positions working in one of our toddler centres.
Please note that candidates are required to have a current ECE with ITE certificate through the BC ECE Registry.
UVic Child Care Services Early Childhood Educators (ECE) and ECE Supervisors are passionate leaders and advocates for the field, who uphold very high standards and provide mentorship to ECEs new to the field.
At UVic Child Care Services:
- We provide a free in-house professional development program in which we work alongside pedagogists who guide inquiry work and research projects, lead seminars and workshops for our ECEs, and provide program support.
- Our ECEs have published journal articles, held exhibits and presented at a number of conferences and workshops.
- Our pedagogy is based on the BC Government’s BC Early Learning Framework (2019).
- We practice a Common Worlds Framework approach, which considers our ethical relations with others in the Anthropocene–reflecting on place and histories, the legacies of colonialism, reconciliation, and 21st century environmental inheritances. For more information on our theoretical approaches, please visit http://commonworlds.net/ and https://www.earlychildhoodcollaboratory.net/
Why Join UVic?
Here at UVic, our people play a vital role in enabling the university to fulfill its mission and promise to become a university of choice for outstanding students, faculty and staff.
UVic compensation and benefits are competitive with:
- Comprehensive medical benefits and Employee and family assistance program
- Pension , Basic Life Insurance and Dental Care Benefits
- Access to health and wellness tools and resources to support you in finding work-life balance
- 10 working days vacation in the first year and 15 working days vacation in the second calendar year***
- Paid Annual holiday closure between Christmas and New Years***
- Leaves – maternity, parental, adoption, paid sick and special leave (e.g. for unavoidable appointments) and long term disability
- Diverse range of learning and development opportunities
- Sustainability initiatives including discounted transit passes and a pedestrian and bike friendly campus
***Vacation and paid annual holiday closure entitlement is prorated on the basis of annual full-time entitlement
University of Victoria (UVic) Child Care Services provides innovative, creative and responsive child care programs for children from infancy to school age. Child Care Services’ mandate is twofold: 1) providing on campus child care to children of UVic families, and 2) providing support and networking to UVic student families living on and off campus through the UVic Family Centre—the on campus family resource program. All UVic child care programs are based upon the BC Early Learning Framework.
The Early Childhood Educator (ECE) works as a member of the child care centre team providing nurturing care and education to children from infancy to pre-kindergarten age in one of the Child Care or Family Centres, working in ratio in the program under the general supervision of one of the child care centre ECE Supervisors or the Child Care and Family Centre Assistant Manager. The ECE embraces the department’s philosophy and policies, the BC Early Learning Framework, and all provincial regulations to maintain a standard of care that contributes to the Child Care Centre’s philosophy and overarching ethos.
All staff who work in UVic Child Care Services must be immunized in accordance with the childhood immunization schedule. The ECE must also possess sufficient stamina for full-time work in a busy full day child care centre. The position is physically demanding and includes lifting (if working in Infant/Toddler Centre lifting of children up to 20 kg. will be on a repetitive basis), crouching, bending, standing, outdoor play, and sitting on floor.
For more information (including detailed job description) and to apply:
For questions related to this posting contact Kim Ainsworth, Manager, Child Care Services at (250) 721-6656 or email@example.com. Applications must be submitted online through the UVic website.
Posting is currently scheduled to close at 4 pm on 17 February 2020