Looking to be a part of an exciting childcare experience in a welcoming coastal community? Opportunity awaits on Mayne Island! The Mayne Island Daycare is a growing and dynamic facility, specializing in nature, small ratios and community-based early learning. The daycare is operated by the Mayne Island Early Childhood Society (MIECS), and will be moving into a brand-new, purpose-built facility to accommodate our growing needs. With a BC Childcare New Spaces Grant and construction underway, the much anticipated Mayne Island Family Place is scheduled to open in the spring of 2022. The current program takes place in a nearby house.
Please check out our websites to get a sense of what we do:
The opportunity: We are currently recruiting for two positions; Early Childhood Educator with an IT certificate to run our newly minted Infant/Toddler program for 2-5 days/week; and a Manager position at 15 hours/week. Applicants with interest in either or any combination of these positions are encouraged to apply.
The setting: Mayne Island is a small island off the southwest coast of British Columbia with a population of approximately 1000 full time residents. Full of natural beauty and easily accessible to Victoria and Vancouver by BC Ferries, Mayne Island is a vibrant community boasting festivals, world class artists, local farming, and a multitude of community gatherings. The island is a true paradise. Some rental housing is available on-island – MIECS will assist the successful candidate(s) in finding housing if desired.
Title: Infant and Toddler Educator and/or Daycare Manager
Type of Child Care: Group Child Care (12 – 36 months) with as-needed work assignments in the daycare’s established multi-age program (1-6 years). The society anticipates developing an out-of-school program within the year, offering additional employment opportunities.
● Early Childhood Educator diploma or degree from a recognized college or university
● Infant/Toddler Educator Licence to Practice preferred
● Documented experience nurturing, caring for and guiding children
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; high degree of initiative, creativity and dedication
● Commitment to high quality and curriculum based on the Early Learning Framework and a supportive work environment for staff
● Sensitivity and respect for individual and cultural differences
● Friendly and approachable personality, team player, reliable and dependable
● Willingness and openness to working in a small non-profit, volunteer organization
● Flexibility in making on-the-spot decisions depending on the needs of the program
● Adequate energy level and ability to meet the physical demands of the job
● Maintain confidentiality within daycare and community
● Valid First Aid, CPR certification, and Criminal Record Check required upon hiringMayne Island Early Childhood Society (MIECS)
● Provide the necessary support, resources and leadership to ensure the provision of safe and nurturing care to young children in a group setting, in accordance with the goals and curriculum plans of the daycare
● Plan developmentally appropriate activities that are inclusive and stimulating for all children (includes fine and gross motor activities, free and imaginative play, and family circle time)
● Create and maintain a welcoming, emotionally safe, respectful and inclusive environment
● Provide for the physical needs of the children including diapering, toileting, feeding, napping and medication administration as needed
● Ensure safety and overall well-being of all children in care
● Positive communication with families through regular verbal and written contact
● Maintain all required records and logs for licensing purposes and operate in strict compliance with the BC Child Care Licensing Regulations
● Maintain appropriate health and safety standards in the playroom
● Work with staff team to maintain appropriate supplies and resources for the playroom
● Participate in the development of special events and programs as required
● Participate in staff and team meetings and staff training sessions as required
● Fulfill other duties as required
● Additional scope for manager position available on request
Employment Terms: Part Time or Full time (6 month probation, with a 3- and 6-month review)
The Infant Toddler program currently operates on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, but expansion plans and family demand require Monday-Friday programming as soon as possible. Manager position is for 15 hours/week. Preference will be given to applicants wanting full time employment, but all applicants are encouraged to apply.
Position Start Date: As soon as August 15th, 2021
Hours of Work: Applicants must commit to at least two days per week with full time work available
Wage: $21.00 – $23.00 per hour base wage subject to an additional BC Child Care Wage Enhancement of $2.00 – $4.00 per hour
Application Closing Date: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
How to Apply: Email resume and cover letter stating your qualifications and interest. Please indicate for which position(s) you are applying, and your desired workload (part time or full time)