Early Childhood Educator / Early Childhood Educator Assistant – Substitute
Locations: Downtown or Westhills YMCA-YWCA*
Wage: ECEA Wage: $18.50 per hour
ECE Wage: $21.32 per hour* *Qualified candidates receive an additional $2/hour as per the MCFD’s ECE Wage Enhancement Program (must meet program eligibility criteria).
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Child Care Supervisor, the Early Childhood Educator or Early Childhood Educator Assistant (ECE/ECEA) Substitute will work directly within the early childhood programs, providing high quality care and creative programming for children in a group setting. Working in collaboration with the child care team, ECE/ECEA Substitutes are responsible for supporting children from 10 months to 5 years of age. They will ensure that children are well-supervised and provided with developmentally appropriate and fun programming options, in keeping with play-based curriculum/philosophy.
This role is classified as a casual position. This casual position is entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA membership.
• To read, understand and follow all YMCA-YWCA policies and procedures related to the guidance and care of children
• To assist with the planning and implementing of a consistent child-centered program in accordance with YMCA-YWCA and CCFL standards, including play-based curriculum standards
• To interact directly with the children, facilitating a healthy learning environment
• To establish and maintain positive daily communication and interaction with families, providing quality customer service and building meaningful relationships within the community
• To ensure that all safety and supervision standards are implemented and maintained according to licensing and YMCA-YWCA requirements
• To maintain confidentiality of all information related to the centre, the children, their families, and staff
• To work effectively and as an active member of the staff team, assisting with other duties and responsibilities as required
• To attend professional development sessions and other trainings as required
• To maintain a neat, orderly, and clean environment, including all activity areas and washrooms
• To release children only to those authorized by parent/guardian
• Early Childhood Educator or Early Childhood Educator Assistant License to Practice in BC required
• Experience working with children in a child care/recreational setting
• Strong written, verbal and communication skills
• High level of organization and customer service skills
• Current First Aid and CPR certification required
• A clear Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
• A clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required*
*Note: Cost reimbursed after successful completion of the probationary period.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when suitable candidates have been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
4. Short-listed candidates will be interviewed upon receipt of application.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.