Job Posting: U19-159
Closing Date: September 30, 2019
Position Type: Part-time
Term Location: Interurban/Lansdowne Campus
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: June 30, 2020
Schedule: Monday – Friday; variable days/hours between 7:45am and 5:00pm
Salary: Pay Grade 7; $24.05 to $25.70 per hour
This posting is for two (2) positions.
Applicants must be registered with the BC ECE Registry.
This temporary position is expected to provide regular on-call relief when staff are absent. Shifts may be in any centre at either campus.
Under the supervision of the Senior Educator and in collaboration with the Child Care team, the Early Childhood Educator provides nurturing care and education for young children in a group setting. The Educator embraces the department’s philosophy and policies, the B.C. Early Learning Framework, the BC Child Care Licensing Regulation, and related provincial regulations to maintain a standard of care that contributes to the service’s reputation for excellence. The Educator ensures the developmental needs of all children are met within a safe and healthy environment and in cooperation with families, colleagues, and community professionals.
Early Childhood Educators primarily work within 1 assigned centre and may temporarily be assigned to another centre when necessitated by operational need. The child care facilities have infant, toddler, and preschool centres.
– Provides care and early learning play experiences for children under age 36 months or ages 3-5 years, which recognize and respond to the child’s developmental needs of well-being and belonging, exploration and creativity, languages and literacies, and social responsibility and diversity;
– Builds meaningful relationships with all children and contributes to creating a responsive caring environment in order to facilitate learning opportunities;
– Uses developmentally appropriate behaviour guidance strategies that encourage the development of positive self-concept;
– Participates in the planning, preparing, delivering and evaluating of age-appropriate, inclusive activities for children that promote their holistic development;
– Observes and documents relevant information as per centre practices and/or the BC Child Care Licensing Regulation;
– Participates in maintaining the centre environments, equipment, toys and storage areas to meet health and safety standards;
– Is an active team member in caring for the children and in the overall operation of the centre including emergency procedures;
– Develops and maintains cooperative working relationships with parents, students, co-workers, College personnel, general public, and supporting agencies;
– Acts as a professional model and resource person for students;
– Resolves conflict with colleagues and clients proactively;
– Attends and participates actively in centre, department, parent, or other meetings as required;
– Participates in ongoing professional development and maintains regulatory certifications;
– Performs other related duties similar in scope and complexity.
Diploma in Early Childhood Education with applicable designations (Infant/Toddler and/or Special Needs); valid BC Early Childhood Educator License to Practice; valid First Aid & CPR certificates; clear BC Criminal Record Check; Immunization Record; Physician’s Form of Suitability; and one year of work experience in a licensed child care setting.
Proven knowledge of the BC Early Learning Framework and Inclusion Practices
Demonstrated interpersonal skills and team player
Solid organizational skills to address changing priorities and interruptions in a busy environment
The position is physically demanding and includes lifting with weight, crouching, bending, standing, sitting, outdoor work, and exposure to noise. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply; to be considered for employment, applicants must meet the qualifications of the position and be eligible to work in Canada.
Note: Eligibility to work in Canada is granted through citizenship, permanent resident status or a work permit. You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to accept a permanent job offer (unless stated otherwise in the posting). If you have a valid work permit, you may be eligible for temporary work but only until your work permit expires or is renewed.
Apply online at www.camosun.ca/careers. We would like to thank everyone in advance for applying as only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Camosun College is an Equal Opportunity Employer