The Early Childhood Educator (ECE) reports to the Early Childhood Education Coordinator (ECEC) and works collaboratively with the Assistant Head, Operations and the Director, Junior School. The Early Childhood Educator (ECE) assists and or leads the development of program curriculum in collaboration with the ECEC enacting the BC Early Learning Framework and Forest School philosophy.
The ECE will assist and or lead children in activities that stimulate and develop their intellectual, physical, social, and emotional growth, while ensuring all safety and regulatory requirements are met. The ECE is responsible for upholding the philosophies and beliefs of St. Margaret’s School.
• Reliable, accountable, and dependable
• Flexible, versatile, and innovative
• Effective communication skills
• Collaborative and open-minded
• Social media capable
• Decision making and solution-builder
• Organized and insightful
• Energetic and self motivated
• Conflict resolution skills
• Experience with BCELF & Forest School
• Ensures the safety and wellbeing of children by:
o performing safety checks;
o completing safety checklists prior to the children’s arrival;
o facilitating dynamic risk assessments while interacting with children; and
o counting and observing children to ensure their safety.
• Works collaboratively with the (ECEC) to facilitate quality programming.
• Develops curriculum that follows the child’s interest and upholds the philosophy of nature-based preschool and the Forest School Philosophy.
• Interacts with children one-on-one, and in small and large groups.
• Leads and/or assists circle times.
• Enacts positive guiding and caring practices.
• Maintain open, respectful communication with parents and SMS colleagues and coworkers.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Early Childhood Education Certificate or Diploma.
• Current Early Childhood Educator License to Practice.
• Current Safety Awareness and First Aid for Childhood Emergencies Certificate.
• Ability to successfully obtain Ministry of Justice criminal record check clearance.
• Proven recent experience working with 2.5 -5 years of age.
• Minimum of two (2) years experience working in a childcare setting.
• Minimum 1 year experience working in an outdoor education/nature childcare setting.
• Nature-based childcare and/or Forest School training preferred.
• Demonstrated love of nature and being outdoors.
• Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
• Ability to carry a large backpack for long periods of time and the ability to lift 40lbs.
• Effective communication and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
A career with St. Margaret’s School will offer you the opportunity to be part of dedicated team of professionals in a dynamic and rewarding educational environment. We offer a competitive
compensation and benefit package, including comprehensive health benefits coverage. This full-time position is located on the school campus, with access to rapid transit, on-site gym, and other
St. Margaret’s is Western Canada’s only all-girls, independent day and boarding school located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international centre for girls’
learning and leadership development providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (boarding grades 7-12). A committed, high calibre staff, a beautiful campus, and an innovative, integrated curriculum create a nurturing environment that challenges students to achieve their academic and leadership potential.
Interested candidates are invited to submit an application package, including a covering letter, curriculum vitae and professional references, quoting the Posting #2022012 to:
St. Margaret’s School
1080 Lucas Avenue
Victoria, BC V8X 3P7