Locations: Downtown, Eagle Creek and Westhills YMCA-YWCA*
*Flexibility is required (availability to work in all three locations is preferred)
Salary: ECE Wage: $20.30 per hour
ECEA Wage: $18.50 per hour
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is a dynamic charitable organization whose mission is to enhance
individual and community potential through participation, learning and leadership. With over 135 years
of serving Victoria and the surrounding communities, the YMCA-YWCA is a member Association of both
YMCA Canada and YWCA Canada.
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Child Care Supervisor, the Early Childhood Educator and/or Early Childhood Educator
Assistant (ECE/ECEA) Substitute will work directly within the early childhood programs, providing high
quality care and creative programming for children in a group setting. Working in collaboration with the
child care team, ECE/ECEA Substitutes are responsible for supporting children from 10 months to 5 years
of age. They will ensure that children are well-supervised and provided with developmentally
appropriate and fun programming options, in keeping with the Playing to Learn philosophy.
This role is classified as a casual position. This casual position is entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA
- To read, understand and follow all YMCA-YWCA policies and procedures related to the guidance
and care of children
- To assist with the planning and implementing of a consistent child-centered program in
accordance with YMCA-YWCA and CCFL standards, including YMCA Playing to Learn curriculum
- To interact directly with the children, facilitating a healthy learning environment
- To establish and maintain positive daily communication and interaction with families, providing
quality customer service and building meaningful relationships within the community
- To ensure that all safety and supervision standards are implemented and maintained according
to licensing and YMCA-YWCA requirements
- To maintain confidentiality of all information related to the centre, the children, their families,
- To work effectively and as an active member of the staff team, assisting with other duties and
responsibilities as required
- To attend YMCA Playing to Learn professional development sessions and other trainings as
- To maintain a neat, orderly, and clean environment, including all activity areas and washrooms
- To release children only to those authorized by parent/guardian
- Early Childhood Educator License to Practice in BC and/or Early Childhood Educator Assistant
- Infant/Toddler Educator Certificate, Special Needs Educator Certificate, or additional
courses/training related to child growth and development are assets
- Experience working with children in a child care/recreational setting
- Strong written, verbal and communication skills
- High level of organization and customer service skills
- Current First Aid and CPR certification required
- A clear Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
- A clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required*
*Note: Cost reimbursed after successful completion of the probationary period.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when suitable candidates have been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
4. Short-listed candidates will be interviewed upon receipt of application.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.