Fernwood NRG is seeking an experienced Early Childhood Educator to work in our busy 3-5 Program. This position will provide high quality, child-centred, and inclusive care in a team with three other Educators.
The ideal candidate shares our family-centred approach and is passionate about nature base, emergent curriculum. The candidate is patient, enthusiastic, team oriented, and compassionate. Self-awareness of personal values, biases and the ability to see how these affect your practice are fundamental to be able to succeed in this role. A desire to work in collaboration across the organization is highly valued. Being organized, accountable and self-directed are required for this role.
Reporting to the Director Child Care Programs, the Early Childhood Educator/Assistant is responsible for supporting children’s day to day success in the centre. This position works collaboratively in a team environment with three other passionate educators.
The position will require the candidate to work with their team in developing and implementing developmentally appropriate activities based on the children’s interests, while ensuring the health and safety of all children are met through Child Care Licensing Regulations and Fernwood NRG Child Care policies.
· Ensures the health and wellbeing of all 25 children.
· Being an active member of a team.
· Responsible for program planning and implementation.
· Supports with program set-up and cleaning.
· Promotes Social Emotional Competence by identifying and labeling the emotions in self and others
· Establishes and implements clear guidelines for developmentally appropriate behaviour.
· Builds and maintains professional working relationships with parents and care-givers.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Must hold a current BC License to Practice as an ECEA. ECE an asset.
· First Aid Certified.
· The successful candidate will need to undergo a criminal record check for working with children and vulnerable adults.
· Must provide a record of immunization status.
· Must provide two professional references.
· Familiar with BC Child Care Licensing Regulations.
· Excellent verbal communication skills
· Ability to work very well in team settings.
· Ability to problem-solve and prioritize tasks.
· Ability to take initiative.
· Ability to follow instructions and willingness to assume and carry out assigned tasks and to be accountable for results and actions, including quality of work.
· Ability to appreciate diversity, different opinions, lived experiences, backgrounds, and personality types.
· Experience with and an understanding of the importance of client confidentiality.
· Dependable, including the ability to maintain good attendance, be reliable and punctual.
· Professional, responsive, with a positive work attitude.
· Ability to lift and move chairs, cots, mats, etc. (up to 30lbs).
· Ability to work positively in a shared work environment.
· Ability to work positively in a busy and loud environment.
· Ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions.
· Ability to stand for long periods of time, run occasionally, crouch and bend frequently.
· Ability to perform some cleaning duties.
· Ability to work onsite.
Wage / Hours of Work
· Up to $21.50/hr dependent on experience and qualifications.
· This includes the $2/Hr Wage Enhancement from the Provincial Government.
· This is full time position up to a maximum of 40 hrs/week, Monday-Friday.
· Scheduled shifts may fall between 7:15am- 5:30pm.
· After 3 months of employment, you are eligible for 10 paid sick days, and 2 paid family days.
· Paid Week off for Winter Closure.
· Generous health benefits including dental, vision, para-medical, and life insurance after 6 months successful employment.
· Paid professional development days.
· As a perk of working with Fernwood NRG, staff have access to staff discounts on select programs including the Good Food Box, and enjoy free staff lunches and snacks.
Fernwood NRG is committed to ensuring that equity, diversity, and inclusion are considerations in our decision-making, in our internal work, and in our work in the Neighbourhood. We are working towards a better understanding of reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples, and are seeking to increase our competence with anti-racism and decolonization.