Fernwood NRG is a social enterprising non-profit organization that serves the Fernwood neighbourhood by:
- supporting individuals and families with affordable, high quality services and housing,
- increasing food security through improving access to affordable, high quality food,
- playing an active role in developing the neighbourhood economy, and
- engaging the neighbourhood through activities, events and communications.
The ideal candidate is passionate about serving the Fernwood neighbourhood through our Child Care programs. The candidate is patient, enthusiastic, team oriented, driven, and compassionate. They are knowledgeable about positive behaviour support strategies, nature-based programming, and building positive long-term professional relationships. A desire to work in collaboration across the organization is highly valued.
Reporting to the Child Care Programs Coordinator, the Early Childhood Educator is responsible for supporting children’s day to day success in the centre. This position works collaboratively in a team environment with three other passionate long term educators.
The position will require the candidate to develop and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum, while ensuring the health and safety of all children are met through Child Care Licensing Regulations and Fernwood NRG Child Care policies.
- Ensures the health and wellbeing of the children.
- Supporting a team to supervise, uphold and maintain the health and wellbeing of 25 children.
- Responsible for program planning and implementation.
- Is the first point of contact for parent and staff questions and concerns.
- Works with the Child Care Programs Coordinator to implement program improvements.
- Provides exceptional early childhood education.
- Promotes Social Emotional Competence by identifying and labeling the emotions in self and others
- Establishes and implements clear rules, limits, and guidelines for developmentally appropriate behaviour.
- Builds and maintains professional working relationships with parents and care-givers.
- Assists with daily clean-up.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must hold a current BC License to Practice as an ECE.
- First Aid Certified.
- The successful candidate will need to undergo a criminal record check for working with children and vulnerable adults.
- Must provide a record of immunization status.
- Must provide two professional references.
- Familiar with BC Child Care Licensing Regulations.
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to work very well in team settings.
- Ability to problem-solve and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Ability to follow instructions and willingness to assume and carry out assigned tasks and to be accountable for results and actions, including quality of work.
- Ability to appreciate diversity, different opinions, lived experiences, backgrounds, and personality types.
- Experience with and an understanding of the importance of client confidentiality.
- Dependable, including the ability to maintain good attendance, be reliable and punctual.
- Professional, responsive, with a positive work attitude. Working Conditions
- Ability to lift and move chairs, cots, mats, etc. (up to 30lbs).
- Ability to work positively in a shared work environment.
- Ability to work positively in a busy and loud environment.
- Ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, run occasionally, crouch and bend frequently.
- Ability to perform some cleaning duties.
Wage / Hours of Work
- Up to $19.50/hr dependent on experience and qualifications.
- This facility is enrolled in the Child Care Fee Reduction Initiative, due to this all ECE will be eligible for a $1.00 (retroactive) raise in early 2019.
- This is full time position up to a maximum of 40 hrs/week, Monday-Friday..
- Scheduled shifts may fall between 7:15am- 5:30pm.
- After 3 month of employment, you are eligible for 10 paid sick days, and 2 paid family days.
- After 6 months of successful employment, you are eligible for an extra paid week off during the winter holidays.
- Generous health benefits including dental, vision, para-medical, and life insurance after 6 months successful employment.
- Paid professional development days.
- As a perk of working with Fernwood NRG, staff have access to staff discounts on select recreational programs and enjoy free staff lunches and snacks.