Mayne Island Early Childhood Society
JOB POSTING – Early Childhood Educator (ECE), Early Childhood Educator Assistant (ECEA) and/or Responsible Adult (RA) We are seeking an individual to join the Mayne Island Daycare manager and early childhood educator in planning and implementing a full range of age and developmentally appropriate activities for children ages 1-6. Responsibilities will vary depending on level of qualification. We are currently building a designated Family Place, which will be a multi-purpose building. The new space will host an expanded number of childcare spaces, including an infant/toddler program and an after-school program for school-aged kids, as well as the existing multi-age program currently housed at the Mayne Island School. Currently a part-time position, the hours of this position could be increased once experience with the program is gained, as well as when the Family Place is built.
Mayne Island is a small, vibrant island off the southwest coast of British Columbia with a population of approximately 1000 full time residents. It is full of natural beauty and easily accessible via Victoria and Vancouver by BC Ferries.
Title: Childcare Worker
Type of Child Care: Multi-Age Licensed Care
Reports to: Mayne Island Daycare Manager
Location: 535 Fernhill Road, Mayne Island, BC, V0N 2J2, within the Mayne Island School
• ECE Licence, Early Childhood Educator Assistant Certificate (ECEA), Responsible Adult (RA) Course Completion, or willingness to obtain the RA and ECEA Certification once hired; funding assistance for courses may be available.
• Valid First Aid and CPR certification or willingness to obtain.
• Must be comfortable working in a daycare environment under COVID conditions.
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Check will be required upon hiring
• Assist in planning and implementing a full range of age and developmentally appropriate activities that are inclusive and stimulating for all children (includes fine and gross motor activities, free and imaginative play, and family circle time)
• Create and maintain a welcoming, emotionally safe, respectful and inclusive environment
• Assist in carrying out routines/curriculum of the program
• Ensure safety and overall well-being of all children in care
• Model positive adult-child interactions that promote intellectual, social and emotional healthy development
• Establish positive relationships with families and their children
• Assist with cleaning and tidying duties and maintaining appropriate health and safety standards in the playroom
• Work with staff team to maintain appropriate supplies and resources for the playroom
• Participate in staff and team meetings and staff training sessions as required
• Fulfill other duties as required
In addition to the qualifications stated above, the successful applicated must:
• Be able to demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication and organizational skills
• Agree to signing a Confidentiality Agreement
• Be able to meet the physical requirements of this position (ex. lifting children, toys, boxes, etc.)
Position Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours of Work: 12 hours per week to start, with opportunity for increased hours. This position will have a 6-month probation, with a 3- and 6-month review. On going yearly reviews will also be performed.
Wage: Dependant on experience, ECEA wage $17/hr, ECE $20/hr. Wage top ups may apply to ECE position(s) as well as full medical and dental benefits once probationary period completed.
Application Closing Date: Please submit your application as soon as possible. The competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you to all that apply; only candidates chosen for interview will be contacted.
For further information on the Daycare and Family Place, please see our website (http://www.miearlychildhood.ca/). If you have questions please contact the above email.