Under the direction of the Program Manager and Executive Director, the Educator will provide quality childcare programming in our 4 year old Nature Program, while upholding the philosophy and mission of Arbutus Grove Children’s Centre (AGCC). Educators support and promote the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of each child in our program, as well as being a dependable and engaging co-Educator.
We are looking for a fun, creative, passionate, nature loving Educator to join our growing team of dedicated, knowledgeable, and kind staff members. We are looking to fill a position within our established Licensed child care program, that focus on nature exploration, child led philosophies and play oriented learning programs. We are located in beautiful Cadboro Bay neighborhood, close to UVIC and bus routes. This program operates out of a brand new Learning Studio surrounded by forest, beaches and nature.
Position Start & End Date: December 7, 2020 – June 25, 2021
Posting closes: open until position filled
Wage: $19 – $23 per hour (including ECE Wage Enhancement) depending on certification and experience
Hours of work: approx. 25 hours/week – Monday to Friday 10am – 3pm. This program follows the SD 61 Frank Hobbs school schedule and will be closed during Winter break, Spring Break, Summer and Pro-D days.
• Valid BC License to Practice in Early Childhood Education or Assistant
• Clean criminal record check
• Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C certification
• Previous child care experience in a licensed facility
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with children, families and staff
• Passionate, energetic and creative when working with children
• Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with our team; as well as work independently and take initiative
• Ability to facilitate inquiry-based learning and be reflective of practice
• Experience in nature-based programming, and knowledge of local ecosystems, an asset
• Provide opportunities for growth and development in a stimulating and supportive environment
• Plan and implement routines that are flexible and responsive to the needs of the children, families, and the staff.
• Assess developmental level of children and provide a physical environment that is safe, supportive, and inviting for all children with a range of abilities.
• Build children’s social, interpersonal skills and self-esteem by establishing routines and using positive guidance to allow children to feel secure, comfortable and safe.
• Follow the Centre’s procedures for maintaining health records, administering medication and first aid. This includes reporting all accidents, injuries, and illnesses to the Program Manager.
• Establish and maintain collaborative, supportive relationships with families
• Establish and maintain collaborative, supportive relationships with colleagues; cooperate and share responsibilities with all staff members.
• Assist in cleaning and maintenance duties
• 1 week paid vacation at Spring Break
• Paid sick days
• Paid staff meetings
• Paid professional development opportunities
• Free parking
• Supportive, collaborative and professional working environment
• Ability to extend hours per day or extend employment throughout summer, if available
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to:
Nicole Skoreyko, Executive Director
Arbutus Grove Children’s Centre
3905 Haro rd
Victoria, B.C. V8N 4A6
See website (www.arbutusgrove.ca) for more program information