The Early Childhood Education Coordinator (ECEC) co-reports to the Assistant Head, Operations, and the Director, Junior School. The ECEC creates policies, manages colleagues, and oversees the daily operation of the outdoor nature based preschool programs. The ECEC collects and maintains all required documentation in accordance with provincial legislation (Community Care
and Assisted Living Act and Child Care Licensing Regulation).
The ECEC leads the development of program curriculum in collaboration with the Early Childhood Education Assistant (ECEA), enacting the BC Early Learning Framework and Forest School philosophy. The ECEC will lead children in activities that stimulate and develop their intellectual, physical, social, and emotional growth, while ensuring all safety and regulatory requirements are met. The ECEC Coordinator is responsible for upholding the philosophies and beliefs of St. Margaret’s School and models distributive leadership capabilities (Lead Self, Engage Others, Achieve Results, Develops Collations, and Systems Transformation).
• Administrative planning
• Program management
• Budget accountability
• Proposal & grant writing experience
• Marketing and social media experience
• Effective communication skills
• Collaborative and open-minded
• Decision making and solution-builder
• Organized and insightful
• Energetic and insightful
• Team player
• Experience with outdoor nature education
• Growth mindset
• Experience with BC Early Learning Framework
• Oversees the daily operation of the nature-based preschool.
• Supervises one or more colleagues.
• Ensures the safety and wellbeing of children by:
o performing safety checks;
o completing safety checklists prior to the children’s arrival;
o facilitating dynamic risk assessments while interacting with children; and
o counting and observing children to ensure their safety.
• Works collaboratively with the Education Assistant to plan and facilitate quality programming integrating play-based learning.
• Develops curriculum that follows the child’s interest and upholds the philosophy of nature-based outdoor education and the Forest School Philosophy.
• Interacts with children one-on-one, and in small and large groups.
• Guides, assists, or leads circle time in collaboration with the Early Childhood Educator.
• Enacts positive guiding and caring practices.
• Assesses the skills, abilities, interests and needs of the children.
• Observes children creating pathways for diversity and inclusion.
• Acts as the main contact for parents.
o Discusses relevant issues with parents regarding their children either in person or via email.
o Maintain an open, respectful dialogue.
• Prepares weekly stories to post on social media and crafts a monthly newsletter.
o Facilitates special events.
• Liaise with the Assistant Head, Operations, Foundation Years Principal, Student Services Team, Admissions, and other school personnel on matters of concern on related to the students’ children and or parents.
• Attend Open Houses and be available to answer questions about the program.
• Participate in the performance review process for self and for the other educators.
• Plan and carry out annual personal development.
• Other duties as assigned.
• ECE Certificate, ECE diploma and or degree in Outdoor Education.
• Current Safety Awareness and First Aid for Childhood Emergencies Certificate.
• Current Early Childhood Educator License to Practice.
• Ability to successfully obtain Ministry of Justice criminal record check clearance.
• Minimum of three (3) years experience working in a preschool setting.
• Minimum 2 years working in a nature based/outdoor childcare setting outdoor education setting that follows the Forest School Philosophy.
• Forest School Training preferred.
• Demonstrated love of nature and being outdoors.
• Effective communication and solution building capabilities.
• Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
• Ability to carry a large backpack for long periods of time and the ability to lift 40lbs.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
A career with St. Margaret’s School will offer you the opportunity to be part of dedicated team of professionals in a dynamic and rewarding educational environment. We offer a competitive
compensation and benefit package, including comprehensive health benefits coverage. This full-time position is located on the school campus, with access to rapid transit, on-site gym, and other
St. Margaret’s is Western Canada’s only all-girls, independent day and boarding school located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international centre for girls’ learning and leadership development providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (boarding grades 7-12). A committed, high calibre staff, a beautiful
campus, and an innovative, integrated curriculum create a nurturing environment that challenges students to achieve their academic and leadership potential.
Interested candidates are invited to submit an application package, including a covering letter, curriculum vitae and professional references, quoting the Posting #2022013 to:
St. Margaret’s School
1080 Lucas Avenue
Victoria, BC V8X 3P7